Unable to get data from remote URL
Unable to parse data from remote URL
Thermal Coal – Weekly Chart--
Thermal Coal – Yearly Chart--
About Thermal Coal
- Australia is the world’s largest exporter of metallurgical coal and second largest for thermal coal.
- Australia’s second largest export commodity with $60 billion total export value in 2017-18 (source; DFAT, 2018)
- 2018 Australian Coal exports were 203 million tonnes of thermal (energy) coal and 179 million tonnes of metallurgical (steel making) coal. (Source; Coal- Building Australia’s future, Minerals Council of Australia, 2019)
- Australia is the fourth largest black coal producer in the world. Existing importers of Australian coal include; Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines and Thailand. (Source; Minerals Council Australia, 2019)
- Australia has over 70 billion tonnes of economically demonstrated reserves of black coal and at current production rates these resources will sustain production for 125 years. (Source; Minerals Council of Australia 2019)
- Coal accounts for around two-thirds of electricity generation in Australia, where one tonne of coal powers the average Australian household for approximately four months.
- About 800 kilograms of metallurgical coal is needed to produce one tonne of steel.